Friday 22 October 2010

More Amigurumi - Octopus

As you know I have been crocheting some bees to make a mobile for farm baby's nursery and as a result I have discovered the toy making style of Amigurumi.  The first thing I saw in this style on the internet when I went investigating was an octopus and I thought it was extremely cute.  I have since then been searching for  pattern that gave me an octopus that I really was happy with - I couldn't find one.  So I had a go at making my own pattern, and this little guy is what I came up with!  Don't ask me what I am going to do with the octopus now I have it and neither should you ask what I will do with all the little octopi that now fill our house. 

The colour isn't perfect - obviously but I think I am happy with the pattern now.  This is my first attempt at writing a pattern so I hope it makes sense.  Here it is....

Amigurumi Octopus

Work in continuous rounds of st unless otherwise indicated.  Mark the first stitch of each round as you go.

ch = chain stitch
st = single crochet stitch
hdc = half double crochet
dc = double crochet

Start with 2 ch
Rnd 1 = 6 st into 2nd chain from hook
Rnd 2 = 2 st into each st around - 12 st
Rnd 3 = [st in next st, 2 st in next st] 6 times - 18 st
Rnd 4 = [st in next 2 st, 2 st in next st] 6 times - 24 st
Rnd 5 = [st in next 3 st, 2 st in next st] 6 times - 30 st
Rnd 6 - 12 = st in each st around
Rnd 13 = [st in next 3 st, dec 1] 6 times - 24 st
Rnd 14 = [st in next st, dec 1] 6 times - 16 st
Rnd 15 = dec 8 times - 8 st

Stuff head.  Do not cut yarn.

Legs
With yarn still attached 
Row 1 = 20 ch
Row 2 = hdc into 2nd st from hook, dc into next 16 st, hdc into next st, st into last st.
Repeat the above on each of the remaining 7 st around base of the head.
Fasten off.
Using the tail of the thread weave into base and pull tight to seal.  Fasten again.

If you have a go please leave a message and let me know how it goes or any changes you made yourselves!  Or indeed if anything doesn't make sense and I shall try and clarify!!

1 comment:

  1. It's adorable...not really following the farm theme but maybe you could have an underwater themed bathroom next?!?! I'm very impressed that you managed to write a pattern and will have a go at it some time in the future and let you know how I get on.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think! Please leave a message!