Sunday 28 March 2010

Sausage Sunday

I thought it might be nice to have a few weeks exploring all the things that can be created from the humble sausage. I love having sausages in the freezer as they are a nice quick easy meal, but there must be more we can do with them....

I thought I would start with a nice, very traditional English meal, Toad-in-the-Hole. Now, although this is typically English, and my family is English, I don't remember getting it at all as a child. I don't know why as my mum was a keen cook (and still is!), it was probably due to the fact that she made amazing roasts! Had no need for the humble Toad-in-the-Hole.

Toad-in-the-Hole
Serves 4

Heat oven to 200oC/fan 180oC/gas 6.

Put 8 sausages and two onions (cut into wedges) into a baking dish. Drizzle with 2 tbsp of oil and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 20 minutes until everything is browned.

Put 150g of plain flour and 2 tsp of English Mustard Powder into a bowl and season. Whisk 2 eggs and 300ml milk to make batter.

Pour into the hot dish with the sausages and cook for 30-40 minutes until golden.

Hope you all enjoy!!

2 comments:

  1. We often have toad in the hole, good old comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love toad in the hole but I am quite picky about how I like it to be cooked...I never ate it as a child as I didn't like Yorkshire pudding then but I know my Mum used to make it...I just got sausages!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think! Please leave a message!